Saturday, March 18, 2006

I Like James Taylor....

Driving home very late, listening to his Sweet Baby James album and fuck you I don't care what you think! Yeah maybe I'm singing right along or maybe I'm not. Not really any of your business. But there are certain songs on there that make me wish we were all stuck in the seventies forever! And this is a weird kind of nostalgia because I never heard him much when I was young during that actual decade. My parents never had any of his albums, whatever I heard must have been playing on my hometown radio station, between "The Open Line" and "Dial-A-Deal". Regardless, when I listen to those songs I am touched by the voice of that time, a recent time, one that seemed to be moving towards recognizing what it meant to simply "be in the world". A time when perhaps there was still hope and you could just look out the window of your car on a road trip and see the world in all its mysterious glory and feel confident in assuming there would always be a tomorrow.

Now the first of December was covered with snow
And so was the turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston
Lord, the Berkshires seemed dream-like on account of that frosting
With ten miles behind me and ten thousand more to go


Who the hell can write and sing that today without having it ring false somehow? There seems to be something so unpretentious about it all, something that puts faith in the common experience and lets it speak for itself.

Convinced? Whatever. Maybe tomorrow I'll see a map to world peace hidden in a Scorpions ballad. Sue me.

[And by the way, for a real treat, check out Two-Lane Blacktop, the film by Monte Hellman starring baby James himself as a practically mute drag racer alongside his mechanic friend played by the late Beach Boy Dennis Wilson (who died diving off his boat while drunk and wearing jeans, or so I've heard). A purer film has not been made, ever.]

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Sink. When I heard James Taylor for the first time in the 70's, I felt like I was sitting on the porch of an old farmhouse, nodding along with some hippie friends. Actually, it wasn't a farmhouse, but it was with hippie friends. Now when I hear that early stuff, I get all nostalgic for those idealistic days. Joni Mitchell's first albums have that same effect on me. I think every guy back then secretly wished they were able to serenade their girlfriends like James Taylor, but wouldn't admit it openly to Led Zepplin fans.
And yes, I'm old enough to have had hippie friends.

8:43 p.m.  
Blogger Kathleen Callon said...

I like him, too.

Whenever I hear his voice, I relax and feel like a teenager again. Have a great weekend.

3:09 p.m.  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

Thank you so much for bringing up Sweet Baby J....
wow, no one has mentioned him in so long....oh, to be 16 again and listen to him on a summer night, and drinking bootleg wine out of a paper bag at a concert...
I am adding you to my blogroll...

1:24 a.m.  
Blogger Sinkchicken said...

geez, no being made fun of. I'm speechless!

thanks for the positive responses!

engima, i'm gonna check out your blog as soon as I post this comment. thanks again for reading kath, I've been absent for a bit but I'll try to get caught up on your blog as well.

8:35 p.m.  
Blogger Kathleen Callon said...

No worries, things have been crazy here. I hope you're good busy, and not hiding on sidewalks making sure "the man" doesn't try to run you over... I can still get that costume...

12:38 p.m.  
Blogger Blog Monkey said...

hop in my 72 charger and break out the 8 tracks. i won't make fun of you but i will offer this:

seems that the gas guzzlers he was spiriting along in, in that era, set the stage for the mess we have today.

sorry to piss on your pancakes. just goes to show the duality of everything we do, except love.

only love is pure and unconditional, and in abundant supply for those willing to mine it.

sorry all, for being quiet these days.

3:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site...
Mp3 player freeze up peaple who use xanax court reporters medical malpractice

2:02 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! kitchen gas fruit stove burner covers Ebony lesbian girls best small kitchen linsey loans nipple acuvue 2 colour digital optical cable Voyeur web stories Do i know you tee shirt Bypass credit card processing http://www.allegra-9.info Ks car loan tara&aposs tiny tits Countertops+dishwasher Perl script backup cisco routers Buy ipod nano and mp3 players online Xenical 2bfor 2bweight 2bloss Eczema picture scalp Car amplifier connetions

5:32 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home